UNESCO inscription in the World Heritage List: ‘Via Mormino Penna, for the rich presence of 18th century buildings, and the Palazzo Beneventano which represent a masterpiece in the creative genius of the late baroque. One can say that it was this era which defined the urban ambience in which buildings of the 19th and 20th centuries adapted to the prevalent image…. Palazzo Beneventano, the most famous noble house in Scicli is one of the most interesting in baroque Sicily, inserted by Anthony Blunt in his work on the Sicilian Baroque and successively noted by other authors, for its uniqueness as well as its mastery of the design, in particular the sculptural aspect which characterises the 2 facades decorated with local stonework.
Among the monuments of Scicli are:
Palazzo Beneventano – defined by Anthony Blunt as the most beautiful in Sicily )of a pale yellow gold colour which in the sunlight gives it an indescribable opulence).
Church of San Matteo: – symbol of Scicli and the mother church until 1874, located on the hill of San Mattero, site of the old city.
Palazzo Fava: – one of the first and most monumental of the baroque palazzi in the town. Its late baroque decoration on the door and balconies are noteworthy but the apex of this style is reached on the only balcony to face Via San Bartolomeo, decorated with griffins, monsters and various heads.
Palazzo Spadaro: – On via Mormino Penna it is one of the Comunes buildings. It represents tangible proof of the shift from the pompous and overblown late baroque to the more refined and cultured rococo. The façade is slightly curved and follows the line of the earlier medieval street, and creates a dialogue with the church of San Michele.
Church of Saint Bartholomew. ;- The façade from the early 1800s carried on the themes of Gagliardi, found in Ragusa. Internally there is a single nave in the style of a Greek cross and it is mainly late baroque/rococo.
Church of Saint Ignazio:- from the first half of the 1700s and the mother church since 1874.
Church of Santa Maria la Nova.:- it has ancient origins, but now the inside is neoclassical with 3 naves, with a squared apse dating from its 19th century restoration.
Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione:- The actual structure of the nave withstood the earthquake of 1693 and dates back to 1600. The apse, cupola and the other parts were reconstructed after the quake in a 18th century rococo style.
Covent della Croce:- From late medieval origins the interior of the church was modernised in the 1700s. The façade has a doorway in gothic Catalan style.
Church of San Giuseppe:- 18th century and has two notable sculptures: the wooden statue of San Ggiuseppe silver leafed, and the statue of San Agrippina from the 1400s.
Church of Santa Teresa: the façade has influences from before the earthquake, while internally it is one of the richest in the whole Val di Noto for its stucci, pictures, sculpture, flooring and decoration.
Church of Saint John the Evangelist:- the concave convex façade has influences of Borromini. The inside is elliptical with a cupola.